POWER

You of Little Faith!
Pastor Gregg Crisp November 20, 2017
When I turn on a light switch I expect a light to come on. Right! I also know that the sun will rise every day. I may not see it, especially in Wyoming with the snow blowing sideward, but I know the sun is there. There is light even if I don’t see the source.
So, do I just simply believe that a light will turn on or that the sun will rise? Or do I act on more than simple belief when I turn on that switch? I also have faith, right.
I can believe all I want that a light will turn on when I hit that switch, but if I don’t actually hit the switch then I’ll remain in the dark. I need to engage the power before I get any light and drown out the darkness.
The same is true with the Word of God. I can say I Believe in it all day. I can even read it and know it like the backside of my hand. But it does me little good unless I act upon it. It does me little good to simply believe it. I must take that Step of Faith, from head to heart, engage its power, so that it can work in my life.
I must have it in my heart and I need to ignite its power. Faith, you may not see it, but you know it’s there. Just as you know the light is there when You hit that switch.
Let’s read: Matthew 14:25-32
Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.
Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
“Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
Wow! There is so much going on in that story. But let me just focus on a few things.
Peter says, hey Lord, if that’s really you let me walk on the water to you. And Jesus is like, come on, go for it dude.
So, what’s Peter do? He Acts! He takes a Step of Faith. He swung his legs over. He lowered himself down and begun to walk on water towards Christ.
Now, I don’t know if Peter took One (1) step, five (5) steps, or fifty (50)? The bible doesn’t say. But what an incredible step, act, of faith. That in itself is a great ending. But I have another point I’d like you to see.
So, what happened? Peter, acted on his faith, walked on water, but then what. He started to sink. But why? Because of the wind, the storm? I say no!
Here’s what I get from that story. Peter begun to sink because he took his eyes off the Author and Finisher of his Faith. Peter saw the problem not the solution. Peter was so focused on the storm that he missed the fact that Jesus was standing right in front of him.
There was no reason for him to sink. There was no reason that Jesus had to grab his hand and rescue him. Peter lost his faith in that moment. I am sure Peter believed that he could walk on the water, but as soon as he lost his faith he sunk.
The good news though is even when we lose our faith Jesus is right there to rescue us if we let him. But we must let Him. Just as Peter grabbed Jesus’ hand so must we.
Aren’t we just like Peter. As soon as a little problem comes up; as soon as we are in a little discomfort, or a little afraid or unsure, we create a huge mountain of obstacles. We stay in our little box. There is no way to get around that mountain. We focus on the problem rather than on the good in it and the solution.
God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the Author and Finisher of our Faith. Sure, the storm may be raging, we feel like we are going to drown, but Jesus is right there. Stand firm in your faith and the solution.
Now, I am not saying to ignore the storm or problem, and be Mr. happy-go-lucky all the time. Yes, acknowledge it, do what you must do in it or because of it.
What I am saying, is that God is bigger than any of our problems. He, in the midst of all the negativity, will provide a solution. He will be there with an outstretched hand just waiting for you to grab it.
But you must flick the switch. The light won’t come on until you engage and release the power.
Release that power in your lives today. The Power of His Word!

Matthew 14:25-32
Hebrews 4:12
Hebrews 12:2
2 Timothy 3:15,16
1 Corinthians 4:20 (NIV)
For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.
Hebrews 12:2

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speak

Repent

CR seven features