Zechariah 8:16
These are the things you must do: Speak truth to one another;

What is truth? Well, bottom line, Absolute truth is and comes from God and we have those truths in His word. And God says,

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any double-edged sword, penetrating as far as the separation of soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

John 8:32
“If you continue in my word, you really are my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

So, we see that absolute Truth is from God and we are instructed to share that truth. But, how do I. The Truth hurts at times. And anyway, aren’t I supposed to love everybody all the time. Afterall, wasn’t Jesus all love.

Absolutely, Jesus was and is all about grace, mercy, forgiveness, and love. However, that is only one part of His nature. He is also Righteous, Pure, Holy, and Truthful.

Love is not the absence of Truth but the Inclusion of Truth.

Say I have a kid and I tell him not to run out into the street because it is dangerous (truth, right). But he does anyway. Well I see him do it, so I pull him out of the street and spank his butt (discipline, another 8-week sermon there). Now I didn’t spank him because I don’t love him. I spanked him because he denied the truth and disobeyed me. The truth was that he could get hurt or even die.

Ephesians 4:15 tells us, speak the truth in love, let us grow in every way into him who is the head—Christ.

Truth is protecting, harsh, even hard, and, also; nurturing, encouraging, supportive, healing, and very loving.

Truth never attacks the person. Rather it attacks the sin.

So, was Jesus Direct, Blunt, Harsh, even Hard? Absolutely! But was He also Loving? Absolutely!

Examples would include:

Matthew 16:23 Jesus turned and told Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me because you’re not thinking about God’s concerns but human concerns.”

Wow, that was blunt, hard and harsh. Was Christ “Politically Correct”, worried that he might hurt Peter’s feelings? Was He worried that Peter may not like Him anymore?

Absolutely Not. He was focused on the bigger picture and the truth. He was hard and Harsh because He did love Peter, and all of man-kind for that matter.

Was Christ all mushy, gushy, at the well? Not exactly! He told the woman, “Go and sin no more”. Pretty direct! John 8:11

Truth, I don’t always see it. That is why I need you. That is why I need God.

Truth, like a band-aid hurts when pulled off, it brings healing.

Pastor Gregg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Speak

Repent

CR seven features